Overton Church, Wales
Overton is perhaps best known for the magnificent ancient yew trees in the churchyard, one of “the Seven Wonders of Wales”. The oldest is thought to be 1500- 2000 years old.The church tower dates from the 14th-Century and houses a peel of 6 bells, and a clock by Joyce of Whitchurch incorporating their patent escapement mechanism, in common with “Big Ben”.The Norman circle cross, built into the west pillar of the nave, is probably the oldest stonework, and the weathered shaft of a 14th-century cross stands beneath a yew tree. An oak chest with heavy iron work probably dates from the 15th-century.Much older still, believed to date from the 6th-century, is an unusual Abyssinian brass processional cross with a calendar stick in Indian script. Other treasures to seek out are an east window by Clayton & Bell, 3 Kempe windows in the south aisle (1890), with Kempe’s “Wheatsheaf“ signature on the clasp of the Magi’s cloak.
Heddal stave church ,Norway
Heddal stave church (Heddal stavkirke) is a stave church located at Heddal in Notodden municipality, Norway.The church is a triple nave stave church and is Norway's largest stave church. It was constructed at the beginning of the 13th century. After the reformation, the church was in a very poor condition, and a restoration took place during 1849 - 1851. However, because the restorers lacked the necessary knowledge and skills, yet another restoration was necessary in the 1950s. The interior is marked by the period after the Lutheran Reformation in 1536/1537 and is for a great part a result of the restoration that took place in the 1950s.