The Jewel of Lake Schwerin, Germany
This romantic fairytale fortress, with all its many towers, domes and wings, is reflected in the waters of Lake Schwerin. It was completed in 1857 and symbolised the powerful dynasty of its founder, Friedrich Franz II.
The architects involved were the finest of their age: 653 rooms are contained within this work of magnificence, most of them with marquetry floors, exquisite carvings, gilding and ceiling stucco work. The pièce de résistance is the throne room, with columns made from Carrara marble and gilded cast-iron doors.